Governing Law and Regulations
New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Office of Remediation and Materials Management Division of Solid and Hazardous Materials Bureau of Hazardous Waste Regulation Hazardous Waste Program
See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.
See national section for basic information and federal regulations.
Comparison: State vs. Federal
• Rules. New York has adopted the federal hazardous waste disposal requirements and added some more stringent state rules. The state regulations cover definition of disposal, disposal facility design and operation, permit application process, and disposal facility fees.
• Administration and enforcement. DEC's Bureau of Hazardous Waste Regulation administers and enforces the hazardous waste disposal rules in New York.
DEFINITION OF DISPOSAL
6 NYCRR 370.2(b)(48)
New York's definition of hazardous waste disposal is broader than the federal definition. The state's definition includes the federal definition and adds the following terms:
- Abandonment of hazardous waste
- Thermal destruction of hazardous waste
- Burning of hazardous waste as fuel for the purpose of energy recovery
These additional provisions expand on the federal definition and allow New ...