Kansas Land Treatment regulations & environmental compliance analysis

Kansas Land Treatment: What you need to know

Governing Law and Regulations

Hazardous waste land treatment rules: Kansas Administrative Regulations (KAR) 28-31-264(a) and KAR 28-31-265(a) (interim status)

Regulatory Agency
For a Limited Time receive a FREE EHS Report "Recordkeeping for EHS Managers." This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard. Download Now

Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) Division of the Environment Bureau of Waste Management Hazardous Waste Program

See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.

See national section for basic information and federal regulations.

Comparison: State vs. Federal

Rules. Kansas has incorporated by reference the federal land treatment facility rules. In addition, owners and operators of hazardous waste land treatment facilities must comply with additional permit application requirements and pay several state facility fees, including one for off-site treatment of hazardous waste.

Administration and enforcement. KDHE's Bureau of Waste Management administers and enforces the land treatment facility requirements in Kansas.

State Requirements


Kansas's permit requirements for treatment, storage, and disposal facilities (TSDFs) include the federal requirements plus the state's additional rules in connection with a permit application disclosure statement, notification on the facility's deed, restrictive covenants, and easements. For more information regarding these state requirements, see the state section TSDF PERMITS.


Owners and operators of hazardous waste land treatment facilities in Kansas are subject to state facility fees. Kansas has several facility fees, including an annual monitoring fee. See the state section TSDF PERMITS for more information about Kansas's facility fees.

Read more about Land Treatment