Governing Law and Regulations
Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) Division of Land Protection and Revitalization
See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.
See national section for basic information and federal regulations.
Comparison: State vs. Federal
• Rules. Virginia adopts by reference the federal regulations concerning the manifest form and the electronic manifest that became effective in, respectively, 2005 and 2014. There is one additional state provision regarding transporters.
• Administration and enforcement. The Division of Land Protection and Revitalization of the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) administers and enforces the hazardous waste manifest rules in Virginia.
9 VAC 20-60-263(B)(2), 9 VAC 20-60-480(G)(1), and 9 VAC 20-60-480(G)(2)
Under the federal manifest rules for transporters, the transporter must deliver the entire quantity of hazardous waste that he has accepted from a generator or a transporter to:
- The designated facility listed on the manifest, or
- The alternate designated facility, if the hazardous waste cannot be delivered to the designated facility because an emergency prevents delivery, or
- The next designated transporter, or
- The place outside the United States designated by the generator.
Virginia adopts these federal provisions with the exception of the requirement that delivery be made to the "alternate ...