Governing Law and Regulations
Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) Office of Waste, Air, and Radiation Management Bureau of Waste Management
See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.
See national section for basic information and federal regulations.
Comparison: State vs. Federal
• Rules. Pennsylvania's regulations that cover neutralization include permit requirements that are stricter than the federal permit requirements. Pennsylvania requires that elementary neutralization units receiving waste from off-site must apply for TSDF permits. Units used to neutralize only waste generated on-site are subject to less strict permit-by-rule requirements.
• Administration and enforcement. DEP administers and enforces the waste neutralization regulations in Pennsylvania.
25 Pa. Code 270a.60(b)
DEP has established a permit-by-rule option for on-site elementary neutralization units. Permit-by-rule allows a hazardous waste management unit (HWMU) to operate without a permit as long as the unit meets other HWMU standards.
In addition to the requirements incorporated by reference, the following requirements apply:
- The facility treats hazardous waste generated on-site.
- The facility has an NPDES permit, if required, and complies with all conditions of that permit.
- The unit has U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and DEP identification numbers (25 Pa. Code 264a.11).
- The unit complies with preparedness, ...