Alabama Property Transfer regulations & environmental compliance analysis

Alabama Property Transfer: What you need to know

Governing Law and Regulations

Hazardous waste sites: Alabama Administrative Code Regulation (Ala. Admin. Code r) 335-14-5-.07(7) and Ala. Admin. Code r 335-14-6-.07(7)

For a Limited Time receive a FREE EHS Report "Recordkeeping for EHS Managers." This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard. Download Now

Underground storage tank (UST) notification requirements: Ala. Admin. Code r 335-6-15-.05

Solid waste sites: Ala. Admin. Code r 335-13-4-.20(2)

Other landfills: Ala. Admin. Code r 335-13-1-.13

Concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs): Ala. Admin. Code r 335-6-7-.20(13)

Regulatory Agencies

Alabama Department of Environmental Management (ADEM)

Alabama State Board of Health (ASBH)

Office of the Probate Judge

Local Health Departments

See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.

See national section for basic information and federal regulations.

Comparison: State vs. Federal

Rules. Alabama does not have specific property transfer laws that go beyond the federal requirements. The Alabama Department of Environmental Management (ADEM) does require disclosure and deed notifications at sites that were used for hazardous or solid waste disposal, or where concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs) exist that do not meet state setback requirements. In addition, owners of regulated underground storage tanks (USTs) must notify the agency and the new owner of the presence of these units before property transfer.

Administration and enforcement. ADEM administers and ASBH both enforce disclosure rules in Alabama.

State Requirements


Any site that has an environmental permit will typically require agency notification indicating that an ownership change is anticipated with a certification that all existing permit requirements will be met by the future owner. This can often be completed by submitting a permit transfer form, but some ...

Read more about Property Transfer

Alabama Property Transfer Resources

Type Title
Forms Well Disclosure Certificate
See all Property Transfer Resources