New Hampshire Property Transfer regulations & environmental compliance analysis

New Hampshire Property Transfer: What you need to know

Governing Law and Regulations

Rules for hazardous waste treatment, storage, and disposal facilities (TSDFs): New Hampshire Regulations Environmental-Hazardous waste (NH Regs. Env-Hw) 702.07

Regulatory Agencies
For a Limited Time receive a FREE EHS Report "Recordkeeping for EHS Managers." This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard. Download Now

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)

New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services (DES) Waste Management Division

See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.

See national section for basic information and federal regulations.

Comparison: State vs. Federal

Rules. New Hampshire has no property transfer law that requires the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services (DES) to certify the condition of property before a real estate transfer may take place. However, New Hampshire has adopted the federal regulations that require hazardous waste treatment, storage, and disposal facility (TSDF) owners and operators to record in the appropriate land records certain information about the facility when it is closed.

Administration and enforcement. DES enforces the closure rules in New Hampshire, while U.S. EPA enforces the rules for transfer of federal property.

State Requirements


For more information on contaminated sites, see the state section SUPERFUND. In addition to this section, management of older abandoned commercial sites are discussed in the state section BROWNFIELDS. For information on transfer of sites that actively manage hazardous wastes, see the state sections RCRA and CLOSURE AND POST-CLOSURE PLANS.

Any site that has an active water or air discharge permit will typically require agency notification that an ownership change is anticipated, with the new owner certifying that all existing permit requirements will be met. This can typically ...

Read more about Property Transfer

New Hampshire Property Transfer Resources

Type Title
Forms Well Disclosure Certificate
See all Property Transfer Resources