Pennsylvania Property Transfer regulations & environmental compliance analysis

Pennsylvania Property Transfer: What you need to know

Governing Law and Regulations

Hazardous substances: 35 Pennsylvania Statutes (Pa. Stat.) 6020.512

For a Limited Time receive a FREE EHS Report "Recordkeeping for EHS Managers." This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard. Download Now

Innocent landowners: 35 Pa. Stat. 6020.701

Liens: 35 Pa. Stat. 6020.509

Brownfields: 25 Pennsylvania Code (Pa. Code) 253.1 to 253.11

Urban redevelopment: 35 Pa. Stat. 1711

Regulatory Agency

Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) Office of Waste, Air, Radiation and Remediation

DEP Office of Community Revitalization and Local Government Support

See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.

See national section for basic information and federal regulations.

Comparison: State vs. Federal

Rules. Pennsylvania has no property transfer law that requires the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) to certify the condition of property before a real estate transfer may take place.

However, the state has a disclosure law that requires a seller of property to include in the recorded deed an acknowledgment of any hazardous substance disposal on the property known to the seller. The state also requires the creation of environmental covenants on property deeds for remediated brownfields.

In addition, the state has adopted the federal rules for treatment, storage, and disposal facility (TSDF) closure, which require the owner or operator to place a notice in the deed when a facility is closed (25 Pa. Code 264a.1). For details, see the national section CLOSURE AND POST-CLOSURE PLANS.

Administration and enforcement. DEP's Office of Waste, Air, Radiation and Remediation administers and enforces the property transfer rules and the requirements of the Uniform Environmental Covenants Act (UECA).

State Requirements


35 Pa. Stat. 6020.512

A site at which hazardous substances ...

Read more about Property Transfer

More on this topic:

Governing Law and Regulations
Regulatory Agency
Comparison: State vs. Federal
State Requirements

Pennsylvania Property Transfer Resources

Type Title
Forms Well Disclosure Certificate
See all Property Transfer Resources