Washington Property Transfer regulations & environmental compliance analysis

Washington Property Transfer: What you need to know

Governing Law and Regulations

Land-use restrictions:

For a Limited Time receive a FREE EHS Report "Recordkeeping for EHS Managers." This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard. Download Now

Dangerous waste sites: Washington Administrative Code (WAC) 173-303-610

Solid waste facilities: WAC 173-351-500

Brownfields: WAC 173-340-440

Public water systems: WAC 246-290-035

Regulatory Agencies

Washington Department of Ecology (WDOE)

Washington Department of Health (DOH)

See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.

See national section for basic information and federal regulations.

Comparison: State vs. Federal

Rules. Washington does not have state-specific property transfer laws. There are requirements that deed notifications be placed on the land records for all properties that disposed of dangerous wastes, solid wastes, or are considered brownfield sites.

Administration and enforcement. The WDOE administers and enforces the post-closure property transfer rules in Washington for waste facilities. The DOH has responsibility for property transfer requirements for owners and operators of public water supplies.

State Requirements


For more information on contaminated sites, see the state section SUPERFUND. In addition to this section, management of older abandoned commercial sites are discussed in the state section BROWNFIELDS. For information on transfer of sites that actively manage hazardous wastes, see the state sections CLOSURE AND POST–CLOSURE PLANS and RCRA.

Any site that has an active water or air discharge permit will typically require agency notification that an ownership change is anticipated with the new owner certifying that all existing permit requirements will be met. This can typically be completed by submitting a permit transfer form. In many cases, a change of stock, title, and property ownership are all ...

Read more about Property Transfer

More on this topic:

Governing Law and Regulations
Regulatory Agencies
Comparison: State vs. Federal
State Requirements

Washington Property Transfer Resources

Type Title
Forms Well Disclosure Certificate
See all Property Transfer Resources