Wisconsin Property Transfer regulations & environmental compliance analysis

Wisconsin Property Transfer: What you need to know

Governing Law and Regulations

Wisconsin hazardous waste facility closure regulations: Wisconsin Administrative Code, Department of Natural Resources (NR) 664.0012 and NR 670.040

For a Limited Time receive a FREE EHS Report "Recordkeeping for EHS Managers." This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard. Download Now

Solid waste landfills: NR 506.08

Petroleum cleanups: Wisconsin Administrative Code, Department of Safety and Professional Services (SPS) 347.50

Regulatory Agencies

Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR)

Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services (DSPS)

See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.

See national section for basic information and federal regulations.

Comparison: State vs. Federal

Rules. Wisconsin does not have a property transfer law and generally follows the federal requirements. However, as part of the closure rules for both hazardous and solid waste facilities, owners and operators are required to make deed notations regarding how the property was used. For more information on the federal requirements, see the national section PROPERTY TRANSFER.

The state also has property transfer requirements for the remediation of sites that have been contaminated with petroleum products.

Administration and enforcement. The DNR administers and enforces the hazardous waste facility closure rules in Wisconsin. The DSPS has responsibility for administering and enforcing regulations for petroleum-contaminated sites.

State Requirements


NR 664.0012 and NR 670.040

Wisconsin requires that the owner of property on which a disposal facility is located record a notation on the deed to the facility property. The notation will forever notify a purchaser that the land was used to manage hazardous wastes. Such notation must appear if:

  • Hazardous waste was intentionally placed into or on the ...

Read more about Property Transfer

Wisconsin Property Transfer Resources

Type Title
Forms Well Disclosure Certificate
See all Property Transfer Resources