Governing Law and Regulations:
West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) Division of Water and Waste Management
Public Service Commission of West Virginia (PSC) Transportation Administration Division
See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.
See national section for basic information and federal regulations.
Comparison: State vs. Federal
• Rules. West Virginia has state-specific rules for solid waste transporters and waste tire transporters.
• Administration and enforcement. PSC administers and enforces the rules for solid waste transporters. DEP administers and enforce the rules for waste tire transporters in West Virginia.
SOLID WASTE TRANSPORTERS
WV Reg. 150-9-1 and WV Reg. 150-9-6
Solid waste includes any garbage, paper, litter, refuse cans, and bottles. It also includes:
- Waste tires
- Sludge from a wastewater treatment plant, water supply treatment plant, or air pollution control facility
- Carcasses of dead animals or any other unsightly material
- Solid, liquid, semiliquid, or contained liquid or gaseous material from industrial, commercial, mining, or community activities
Requirements for solid waste transporters include:
- Vehicles must be properly and sanitarily maintained.
- Spills that occur during pickups must be cleaned up.
- All solid waste transporters must participate in a recycling program that attempts to address at least 30 percent of the wastestream generated by customers.
- A list of industrial, commercial, and residential customers must be provided annually to DEP and to the county and ...