Governing Law and Regulations
Arkansas Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ) Hazardous Waste Division Technical Branch
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Region 6 Superfund Division
See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.
See national section for basic information and federal regulations.
Comparison: State vs. Federal
• Rules. Arkansas has its own hazardous waste site remediation program, funded by the Arkansas Remedial Action Trust Fund Act (RATFA), which provides the state with the funds and authority to investigate, control, prevent, abate, treat, or contain releases of hazardous substances on sites listed on the state Hazardous Substances State Priority List (SPL). The RATFA also helps the state to participate in federal Superfund response actions at sites on the National Priorities List (NPL). See the national section SUPERFUND for more information on the federal program.
• Administration and enforcement. ADEQ's Hazardous Waste Division coordinates and implements remedial actions at abandoned hazardous substance sites under the RATFA program and the state Voluntary Cleanup (Brownfields) program, and coordinates with the EPA to implement the federal Superfund program for sites in Arkansas.
STATE PRIORITY LIST
AR. Reg. 30.101 to 30.401
Sites may be added to the RATFA SPL after going through a rulemaking procedure. Following are criteria considered by the ADEQ before SPL listing proceeds:
- Proximity to population centers;
- Potential impact to surface water;
- Potential impact to groundwater;
- Hydrologic and ...