Maryland Used Oil Management regulations & environmental compliance analysis

Maryland Used Oil Management: What you need to know

Governing Law and Regulations

Used oil management rules: Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) to and COMAR

For a Limited Time receive a FREE EHS Report "Recordkeeping for EHS Managers." This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard. Download Now

Oil operations permit: COMAR and COMAR

Used oil mixtures: COMAR and COMAR to

Burners: COMAR


Annual report: COMAR

Oil discharge report: COMAR

Closure: COMAR

Dust suppressant prohibition: COMAR

Rebuttable presumption for used oil: COMAR and COMAR

Regulatory Agency

Maryland Department of the Environment (MDE) Land Management Administration Hazardous Waste Program

See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.

See national section for basic information and federal regulations.

Comparison: State vs. Federal

Rules. Maryland has adopted the federal used oil management standards that cover all segments of the used oil recycling system and apply to generators, transporters, marketers, processors, and burners of used oil. Maryland has added stricter provisions in connection with permits, reporting used oil operations and discharges, mixing used oil with hazardous wastes, burners of used oil, and use of used oil as a dust suppressant.

Administration and enforcement. MDE's Land Management Administration administers and enforces the used oil management rules in Maryland.

State Requirements



A current oil operations permit must be obtained from MDE in accordance with COMAR by owners and operators of (COMAR

  • Used oil collection centers
  • Used oil transportation facilities
  • Used oil processing/rerefining facilities

Specifically, facilities that handle used oil, involving the handling, reuse, processing, reprocessing, or disposal of any oils that have previously been used, and involving storage capacity of 1,000 gallons or more, must have an oil operations permit (

Read more about Used Oil Management