Massachusetts Ag Waste regulations & environmental compliance analysis

Massachusetts Ag Waste: What you need to know

Governing Law and Regulations

Massachusetts Clean Waters Act, Massachusetts General Laws (MGL), Chapter 21, Sections 26 to 53

For a Limited Time receive a FREE EHS Report "Recordkeeping for EHS Managers." This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard. Download Now

Massachusetts consolidated permit regulations: 314 Code of Massachusetts Regulations (CMR) Sections 2.01 to 2.12

Massachusetts surface water discharge permit rules: 314 CMR Sections 3.01 to 3.19

Surface water quality standards: 314 CMR 4.01 to 4.06

Permit applicability: 314 CMR 3.03 and 314 CMR 3.05

Regulatory Agencies

Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) Bureau of Resource Protection Watershed Management Division

Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources (MDAR)

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Region 1

See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.

See national section for basic information and federal regulations.

Comparison: State vs. Federal

Rules. Both Massachusetts and federal regulations apply to animal feeding operations in the state. The Massachusetts Clean Waters Act requires a permit for any pollutant discharged to the surface waters of the Commonwealth, including discharges from concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs). Storage of animal manure is prohibited unless covered or contained in accordance with the standards and guidelines of the Massachusetts Natural Resource Conservation Service.

Massachusetts does not have authority from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to administer the federal National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit program. As a result, wastewater discharges in the Commonwealth are subject to both federal and state permit requirements. The EPA and the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) issue joint permits. Applications for NPDES permits must be ...

Read more about Ag Waste