Minnesota Ag Waste regulations & environmental compliance analysis

Minnesota Ag Waste: What you need to know

Governing Law and Regulations

Animal feedlots: Minnesota Statutes Annotated (MSA) 115.03

For a Limited Time receive a FREE EHS Report "Recordkeeping for EHS Managers." This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard. Download Now

Permit application: Minnesota Rules (MR) 7001.1050

Animal feedlots general: MR 7020.0200

Definitions for feedlots: MR 7020.0300

Feedlot registration requirements: MR 7020.0350

County programs for feedlots: MR 7020.1600

Permit requirements for feedlots: MR 7020.0405

Technical standards for feedlots: MR 7020.2000 to 7020.2225

Air quality: MR 7020.2002

Nutrient and manure management: MR 7020.2225

Water discharge standards: MR 7020.2003

Location and expansion restrictions: MR 7020.2005

Livestock access to water restrictions: MR 7020.2015

Closure of a feedlot or manure storage area: MR 7020.2025

Liquid manure storage: MR 7020.2100

Poultry barn construction requirements: MR 7020.2120

Manure stockpiling regulations: MR 7020.2125

Transportation of manure: MR 7020.2010

Compost facilities: MR 7020.2150

Variances: MR 7020.1900

Agricultural Best Management Practices Loan Program (AgBMP Loan Program): MSA 17.117

Regulatory Agencies

Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA)

Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA)

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Region 5

See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.

See national section for basic information and federal regulations.

Comparison: State vs. Federal

Rules. Minnesota is authorized by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to administer the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) program for discharges of pollutants from point sources to state waters. Similar to federal rules, Minnesota defines "point source" to include concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFO). For additional NPDES permit and modification requirements, see the state section NPDES PERMIT. State ...

Read more about Ag Waste

More on this topic:

Governing Law and Regulations
Regulatory Agencies
Comparison: State vs. Federal
State Requirements
Guidance Documents