New Hampshire Ag Waste regulations & environmental compliance analysis

New Hampshire Ag Waste: What you need to know

Governing Law and Regulations

New Hampshire National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permits: New Hampshire Regulations Environmental Water Quality (NH Regs. Env-Wq) 301.02

For a Limited Time receive a FREE EHS Report "Recordkeeping for EHS Managers." This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard. Download Now

Concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs) as point sources: NH Regs. Env-Wq 301.03 and NH Regs. Env-Wq 1702.38

Improper manure handling: New Hampshire Revised Statutes Annotated (RSA) 431:35

Agricultural Nutrient Management (ANM) Grant Program: RSA 431:36

Regulatory Agencies

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Region 1

New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services (DES) Water Division

New Hampshire Department of Agriculture, Markets and Food (NHDAMF) Division of Regulatory Services

U.S. Department of Agriculture Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS)

See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.

See national section for basic information and federal regulations.

Comparison: State vs. Federal

• Rules. New Hampshire does not have authority from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to administer the federal National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit program for wastewater discharges. The state has adopted by reference the federal NPDES rules as part of New Hampshire's state discharge permit program. Therefore, anyone discharging pollutants into the state's waters or groundwater, including wetlands, or to a publicly owned treatment works (POTW), may have to obtain two permits—a federal NPDES permit from EPA's Region 1 office and a state discharge permit from the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services' (DES) Water Division. New Hampshire also has rules for the land application and composting of manure and other agricultural waste.

• Administration and enforcement. ...

Read more about Ag Waste