Governing Law and Regulations
Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS)
Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ)
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Region 7
See national section for basic information and federal regulations.
Comparison: State vs. Federal
· Rules. All laboratories that test drinking water compliance samples are required to be certified by DHHS or through reciprocity with another state.
DEQ may impose monitoring requirements when issuing NPDES permits, and employs the federal testing procedures. For additional information about the federal requirements, see the national section BIOASSAYS/BIOMONITORING.
· Administration and enforcement. DHHS administers the laboratory certification program in Nebraska. DEQ administers the NPDES program in the state.
179 NAC 20-001 to 20-009
For a laboratory to be certified to test drinking water compliance samples, DHHS requires the following:
- The use of methods specified in the EPA drinking water regulations
- The meeting of all laboratory requirements, including a current laboratory quality assurance plan
- Maintenance of current administrative and analytical standard operating procedures
- Employment of both a laboratory director/manager and a quality assurance officer
- Documentation that the laboratory has analyzed a ...