Iowa Groundwater regulations & environmental compliance analysis

Iowa Groundwater: What you need to know

Governing Laws and Regulations

Water use and allocation: Iowa Administrative Code (IAC) 567-50.1(455B) to 567-55.6(455B)

For a Limited Time receive a FREE EHS Report "Recordkeeping for EHS Managers." This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard. Download Now

Private well construction: IAC 567-38.1(455B) to 567-38.17(455B)

Emergency permits: IAC 567-38.7(455B)

Water well certification: IAC 567-38.8(455B) and IAC 567-82.1(455B) to 567-82.14(455B)

Well abandonment program: IAC 567-39.1(455B) to 567-39.11(455B)

Groundwater professionals: IAC 567-134.1(455G) to 567-134.5(455G)

Underground storage tank (UST) sampling: (IAC)) 567-135.5(455B)

Groundwater hazard statement: IAC 561-9.2(558)

Regulatory Agencies

Iowa Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Water Quality Bureau (WQB) Water Supply Operations Section

DNR Iowa Geological Survey and Land Quality Bureau Underground Storage Tanks

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Region 7

See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.

See national section for basic information and federal regulations.

Comparison: State vs. Federal

Rules. Iowa protects groundwater through the issuance of water use and allocation permits and well construction permits. In addition, Iowa generally follows the federal groundwater standards that are applied for groundwater monitoring at final permitted and interim status hazardous waste treatment, storage and disposal facilities.

Administration and enforcement. DNR's Water Supply Operations Section administers the water use and allocation permitting and water well construction permitting regulations. DNR's Underground Storage Tanks section enforces UST sampling requirements and the certification requirements for groundwater professionals.

State Requirements


IAC 567-50.1(455B) to 567-55.6(455B)

In Iowa, a permit must be obtained before a property owner can ...

Read more about Groundwater