Arizona NPDES regulations & environmental compliance analysis

Arizona NPDES: What you need to know

Governing Law and Regulations

National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit program: Arizona Revised Statutes (AZ Rev. Stat.) 49-255 to 49-255.03

For a Limited Time receive a FREE EHS Report "Recordkeeping for EHS Managers." This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard. Download Now

Arizona Environmental Quality Act, AZ Rev. Stat. 49-101

Permit types:

Individual permits: Arizona Administrative Code Rules (AZ Admin. Code R) 18-9-B901

General permits: AZ Admin. Code R 18-9-C901

Exemptions: AZ Admin. Code R 18-9-A902(G)

Permit standards:

Public notice: AZ Admin. Code R 18-9-A907(A) and AZ Admin. Code R 18-9-A907(B)

National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) reviews: AZ Admin. Code R 18-15-107

Permit transfers: AZ Admin. Code R 18-9-B905

Variances: AZ Admin. Code R 18-9-B907

Biosolids: AZ Admin. Code R 18-9-1003

Regulatory Agencies

Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ) Water Quality Division Water Permits Section

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (Corps)

United States Section of the International Boundary and Water Commission

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Region 9

See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.

See national section for basic information and federal regulations.

Comparison: State vs. Federal

Rules. Arizona has authorization from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to administer the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit program, including regulations for biosolids and sludge management. The state's equivalent to the NPDES permit is called the Arizona Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (AZPDES) permit.

Arizona issues NPDES de minimis, biosolids, domestic wastewater, and pesticide general permits, and general permits for stormwater discharges and for confined animal feeding operations (CAFOs), as well as individual permits. See the state sections AG WASTE and STORMWATER—GENERAL

Read more about NPDES