New Hampshire Stormwater-General regulations & environmental compliance analysis

New Hampshire Stormwater-General: What you need to know

Governing Law and Regulations

National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit program: New Hampshire Revised Statutes Annotated (RSA) 485-A:13

For a Limited Time receive a FREE EHS Report "Recordkeeping for EHS Managers." This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard. Download Now

Alteration of terrain permits: RSA 485-A:17 and New Hampshire Regulations Environmental-Water Quality (NH Regs. Env-Wq) 1501.01 to 1509.09

Regulatory Agencies

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Region 1

New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services (DES) Water Division Alteration of Terrain Bureau

DES Wastewater Engineering Bureau Permits and Compliance Section

See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.

See national section for basic information and federal regulations.

Comparison: State vs. Federal

Rules. New Hampshire is not authorized by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to administer the federal National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit program, including authority for stormwater permitting. New Hampshire does have requirements and fees for site-specific construction projects through the Alteration of Terrain Program to protect New Hampshire surface waters by controlling soil erosion and managing stormwater runoff from developed areas.

See the national section STORMWATER—GENERAL for information on the federal permitting program, and the state sections STORMWATER—INDUSTRIAL FACILITIES, STORMWATER— CONSTRUCTION ACTIVITIES, and STORMWATER—MUNICIPALITIES for more information on the state requirements for these specific discharges.

Administration and enforcement. EPA Region 1's office administers the federal stormwater permitting program in New Hampshire. However, a state-specific Notice of Intent (NOI) must be submitted for coverage under the NPDES General Permit for small municipal separate storm ...

Read more about Stormwater-General