Employers need to be aware of the many coverage and benefit requirements related to healthcare insurance. There are many laws involved in such requirements, including, but not limited to:
• The ACA;
• The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA);
• The Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA);
• The Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act (GINA);
• The Children’s Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act of 2009 (CHIPRA);
• The Newborns’ and Mothers’ Health Protection Act (NMHPA);
• The Paul Wellstone and Pete Domenici Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act of 2008 (MHPAEA);
• The Women’s Health and Cancer Rights Act of 1998 (WHCRA);
• The Pregnancy Discrimination Act (PDA);
• Michelle’s Law; and
• Various state laws.
Congress also enacted special health coverage requirements in 2020 to address ...