Virtually all employees must be covered by workers' compensation insurance (IL Comp. Stat. Ch. 820 Sec. 305/1 et seq.). The only exceptions are the following types of workers:
• Those working for agricultural enterprises with a payroll of less than 400 person-days per year
• Real estate sellers or brokers who work for commissions
• Employees covered by federal workers' compensation law
• Domestic servants, unless they work 40 hours per week for at least 13 weeks of a calendar year
• Members of fire and police departments in cities with over 200,000 residents
• Persons working outside the usual course of the employer's business
Employees may not waive their rights to workers' compensation coverage except with the approval of the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission (IWCC).