New Hampshire Unemployment Compensation laws & HR compliance analysis

New Hampshire Unemployment Compensation: What you need to know

Virtually all employers are covered by New Hampshire’s unemployment compensation law (NH Rev. Stat. Sec. 282-A:1 et seq.) and are therefore subject to the state unemployment insurance tax. For example, covered employers include:
For a Limited Time receive a FREE HR Report on the "Critical HR Recordkeeping”.  This exclusive special report covers hiring records, employment relationships, termination records, litigation issues, electronic information issues, tips for better recordkeeping, and a list of legal requirements.  Download Now
• Employers that employed at least one person for some portion of a day in each of 20 different weeks in the current or preceding calendar year or that paid $1,500 in wages in any quarter;
• Anyone who acquired a business of a covered employer;
• Employers subject to the Federal Unemployment Tax Act (FUTA); and
• Indian tribes (NH Rev. Stat. Sec. 282-A:8).
The law excludes certain services from coverage, including, for example, services performed by:
• Students working for schools, colleges, or universities;
• Students working for work-study programs;
• Spouses of students working for the school;
• Real estate and insurance salespersons;
• Real estate appraisers paid solely by fees;
• Newspaper distributors who are minors; and
• People working for a church, a convention or association of churches, or an organization or educational institution operated mainly for religious purposes (NH Rev. Stat. Sec. 282-A:9 et seq.).
Taxable wage base. The taxable wage base is determined each year. For the current taxable wage base, visit Wages include:
• Salaries;
• Commissions and bonuses; and
• Reasonable value of employer-provided room and board (NH Rev. Stat. Sec. 282-A:15).
Wages do not include:
• Retirement;
• Sickness or accident disability insurance;
• Medical or hospitalization expense payments; or
• Death benefits.
Rates. Tax rates vary from year to year. To find the current tax rate, visit

Read more about Unemployment Compensation

Related Topics