Vermont Grievances laws & HR compliance analysis

Vermont Grievances: What you need to know

A grievance is a complaint by an employee or a group of employees about an alleged violation, misinterpretation, or inequitable application of a union contract or, in a nonunion environment, any personnel policies, rules, or regulations. A grievance procedure is a way of attempting to solve such disputes.
For a Limited Time receive a FREE HR Report on the "Critical HR Recordkeeping”.  This exclusive special report covers hiring records, employment relationships, termination records, litigation issues, electronic information issues, tips for better recordkeeping, and a list of legal requirements.  Download Now
In a unionized workplace, the handling of employee grievances is regulated by the terms of the collective bargaining agreement. For private employers, many states allow the written language of a grievance procedure agreement to be controlling, similar to a contract. However, if the language in a private agreement is contradictory to applicable law or is silent on an issue, state law controls. For public employers, a grievance procedure is usually set out by state statutes, and is strictly followed.
As an effective way to control legal costs and to stem the proliferation of employee lawsuits, many employers have taken an interest in the various methods of Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR). Among the more common forms of ADR are mediation and arbitration. Many states have arbitration and/or mediation statutes. Both employers and employees benefit from ADR agreements, as they are a fair and objective way to settle agreements without getting the courts involved.
State employees. The Vermont Labor Relations Board provides mediation services for the state of Vermont and its state colleges and universities and state employees who have reached an impasse in collective bargaining (VT Stat. Tit. 3 Sec. 925).
Municipal employees. The Vermont Municipal Labor Relations Act provides mediation services for municipal employers (i.e., city, town, village, fire district, housing authority, union municipal ...

Read more about Grievances

Vermont Grievances Resources

Type Title
Policies Grievance Handling (Strict)
See all Grievances Resources