· Rules. Indiana incorporates the federal asbestos NESHAP regulations by reference. To review these rules, see the national section ASBESTOS. In addition, the state licenses persons engaged in certain asbestos activities and has established notification, fee, and asbestos emissions control procedures. The state adopted the federal requirements for handling asbestos waste, in addition to the state requirements. State training requirements for asbestos abatement certification follow federal requirements. Indiana also follows the federal regulations governing asbestos in the workplace.
· Administration and enforcement. DOL administers and enforces asbestos workplace safety regulations. OAQ administers and enforces the asbestos abatement and licensing requirements. OLQ regulates the disposal of asbestos waste.
326 IAC 18-1 and 329 IAC 10-8.2-4
Applicability. Persons who engage in any of the following activities must be licensed:
- Inspect for asbestos-containing material (ACM) at a facility
- Develop asbestos management plans for school buildings
- Design asbestos projects for implementation at a facility
- Supervise the implementation of asbestos projects at a facility
- Implement asbestos projects at a facility
- Manage disposal of ACM at a waste disposal facility
Qualifications. Applicants seeking a license in any one of the following categories must satisfy the corresponding qualifications: Inspector. In order to qualify for a license as an asbestos inspector, a person must meet the following:
- Possess a high school degree or equivalent (i.e., 2 years of experience in one or a combination of asbestos inspection, building construction, building maintenance, or ...