The state has adopted requirements for reporting and investigating accidents that are stricter than the federal rules (WAC 296-800-32005 to 296-800-32025).
The Department of Labor and Industries' Department of Safety and Health (DOSH) administers and enforces the workplace safety and health rules in Washington.
Employers in Washington must report a fatality, probable death, or hospitalization incident that involves any employees within 8 hours. The employer must contact DOSH or call the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) at 800-321-6742. ACCIDENT INVESTIGATION PROCEDURES
WAC 296-800-32010 to 296-800-32025
DOSH investigation. Under any of the following three conditions do not move any equipment involved in an accident or incident until a representative of DOSH investigates and releases the equipment, unless moving the equipment is necessary to remove victims or to prevent further incidents and injuries:
- A death
- A probable death
- Hospitalization of any employee
Assign the following people to the DLI investigation:
- The immediate supervisor
- Employees who were witnesses to the incident
- Other employees the investigator feels are necessary to complete the investigation
Employer preliminary investigation. The employer must conduct a preliminary investigation for all serious injuries. Such an investigation must include the following people to evaluate the facts of the cause of the incident:
- A person designated by the employer
- The immediate supervisor of the injured employee
- An employee representative, such as a shop steward or other person chosen by the employees to represent them
- Any other person who has relevant experience and ...