Arkansas HazMat Transportation laws & safety compliance analysis

Arkansas HazMat Transportation: What you need to know

· Rules. Arkansas incorporates by reference most of the federal requirements for hazardous materials transporters as they apply to motor carriers, with an exception for fuel tank packaging and certain vehicles used in intrastate farming operations. Arkansas also requires that in addition to the National Response Center, the State Police also be notified in the event of a hazardous materials spill.

For safety safety a Limited Time receive a FREE Safety Special Report on the "50 Tips For More-Effective Safety Training."  Receive 75 pages of useful safety information broken down into three training sections. Download Now

Arkansas has adopted the federal rules for hazardous waste transporters, with additional state requirements for transfer facilities, permits, fees, and discharges during transport.

· Administration and enforcement. AHTD administers and enforces the hazardous materials transportation rules in Arkansas. ADEQ and AHTD administer and enforce the rules for hazardous waste transporters.

AHTD HM Rule 1.3(a)

In the event of a hazardous materials spill, in addition to the National Response Center, Arkansas transporters are required to notify the Arkansas State Police. The State Police will then immediately notify the Office of Emergency Services (OEM). At the earliest practicable moment, OEM will notify the Arkansas Highway Police, the Arkansas Health Department, and ADEQ.

AHTD HM Rule 1.3(b)

Arkansas incorporates by reference the federal hazardous materials regulations, with some exemptions for certain tank trucks and certain vehicles used in intrastate farming operations.

Vehicles with less than 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight that are used in the distribution or application of hazardous materials in intrastate farming operations are exempt from hazardous materials transportation rules, with the exception of the notification ...

Read more about HazMat Transportation