Maryland HazMat Transportation laws & safety compliance analysis

Maryland HazMat Transportation: What you need to know

· Rules. Maryland incorporates by reference the federal hazardous materials regulations. Maryland statutes (Md. Code Ann., Envir. 7-101 to 7-114) contain requirements for the permitting of hazardous materials transfer stations that must be implemented by regulations developed by MDE. MDE has yet to develop the necessary regulations. So, in effect, the requirements are not being enforced.

For safety safety a Limited Time receive a FREE Safety Special Report on the "50 Tips For More-Effective Safety Training."  Receive 75 pages of useful safety information broken down into three training sections. Download Now

Maryland has requirements related to the transportation of oil and petroleum products.

· Administration and enforcement. MDE enforces the regulations for oil transporters. Commercial drivers who wish to apply for, renew, or transfer a Hazardous Materials Endorsement (HME) should contact MVA. For more information about HMEs, see the national section HAZARDOUS MATERIALS TRANSPORTERS.

Hazardous Materials Transporters

The hazardous materials regulations do not apply to law enforcement vehicles or other emergency service vehicles, such as fire and rescue vehicles, which transport hazardous materials required for the performance of their duties or services.

Oil Transporters
Oil Permit

Anyone who transports or transfers oil, petroleum products, or their by-products, must obtain an Oil Operations Permit from MDE. The definition of oil includes used oil, asphalt, gasoline, kerosene, diesel fuels, fuel oil, and oil mixed with other waste. A single owner of multiple facilities may apply for a single permit if all facilities are listed in the permit application. All applicants must submit the permit application General Form. There are separate permit application supplements for transportation within the state, ...

Read more about HazMat Transportation