· Rules. New Hampshire adopts by reference the federal hazardous materials transportation regulations as they apply to hazardous materials transporters. The state has additional notification requirements.
· Administration and enforcement. DOS administers the state highway safety rules.
REPORTS AND NOTIFICATION
NH Regs. Saf-C 604.01, NH Reg.s Saf-C 605.01, and NH Regs. Saf-C 605.02
In addition to the notification requirements under federal regulations, hazardous materials transporters in New Hampshire must notify DOS at 603-271-2559 and send copies of any reports to:
Commissioner of Safety James H. Hayes Building 33 Hazen Drive Concord, NH 03305
If there is an incident involving hazardous materials during transportation, loading, unloading, or storage, the motor carrier must immediately notify DOS at state police headquarters at 603-271-3636. The notification must include:
- The reporting party's name
- The name and address of reporting party's motor carrier
- The telephone number where reporting party can be contacted
- The date, time, and location of incident
- The extent of injuries, if any
- The classification, name, and quantity of hazardous materials involved, if available
- The type of incident, nature of hazardous materials involved, and whether a continuing danger to life exists at the scene
Radioactive materials. In addition to any other reporting requirements of the federal and state regulations, motor carriers must notify the shipper no later than 12 hours following any incident in which there has been breakage, spillage, or suspected radioactive contamination involving any shipment of radioactive materials.